View Single Post
Old 07-26-2021, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Not an easy time to be a lefty guitar player. The pandemic has really wiped out supply and, speaking to a number of shops, it seems as if manufacturers are focusing on making right-handed guitars to replenish inventories.

I recently went through the process of looking for left-handed acoustics to try out in person, and the pickings (no pun intended) were slim. I’m in the NYC area, and I think I tried the dozen or so nicer acoustics in the area. The best “collection” in the city is at 30th St. Guitars. They currently have four very nice used lefties—a Collings (Brazilian rosewood no less), Taylor, Martin and Gibson. The Music Zoo actually has a very good selection of lefty acoustic guitars in stock, but unfortunately their showroom isn’t open. I did end up getting a Taylor from them that they shipped to me.

Shipping is your (friend’s) friend. Most shops have a reasonable trial period. I found that the Music Zoo, Southpaw Guitars and Musician’s Friend currently have the best selection. Or if your friend wants something higher end, there’s Lefty Guitars Only. Of course, there are lots of used guitars available from private sellers (Reverb, etc.), but you can’t just try them out and return them if you don’t like them.

Last edited by sinistral; 07-26-2021 at 09:17 PM.