View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
Sorry, I don't know of a good swing jazz DVD, but I am sure there are some out there.

My recommendation would be the Mickey Baker book, just the chord section is essential. You have this one already, right? My own twisted history includes that, plus learning every song on Willie Nelson's Stardust record. He's not strictly 30's swing but that whole record is beautiful interpretations of the era. If you've got that under your belt, the 30's swing feel comes easily. Have you checked out local teachers?

Of course, I play all the songs you mentioned. So if you're ever in the Bay Area....
I just ordered the Mickey Baker book and I've been working on the songs I mentioned. I'm pretty good a watching a video and making out the chords along with the help of chord sites online. I think the Baker book will really help me.

I've been searching online for a mic that can be used in a live venue without problems with feedback. And I've found 2 interesting new mics made by LR Bags and K&K.

The LR Baggs Lyric is a mic that mounts on the bridge plate on a flattop and from all the reviews I've seen it might be the best new mic for live performance.
http://www.lrbaggs.com/pickups/lyric...tar-microphone

The K&K Meridian microphone is an external mount that might be just as good and the cool thing about it is you might be able to use it on an archtop. I sent them an email today to see if it would work on my AT 16. The Meridian clamps on a guitar without damaging the finish and can be attached and removed easily.
http://kksound.com/products/meridian.php

Let me know if you've heard anything about these mics.

And thanks for your advice and recommending the Mickey Baker book!

My wife Patty and I used to go see Willie Nelson in Austin before he became a superstar. We went to the first fourth of July picnic which was not very far from where Collings shop is located. People were dropping like flies from heat exhaustion.

I have a friend who is a jazz musician and I used to take lessons from him on theory but I wasn't into jazz at the time.

Jeb