View Single Post
Old 07-09-2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
John Thomas' 1943 Gibson SJ.

This guitar spent the first few years of its life traveling around Europe during the Second World War.

The first time I played it, it just felt right. The neck is slightly rolled and the strings are just bendy enough. It's worn in all of the right spots.

Should you meet John in person, he will likely have this guitar with him and likely, he will be glad to let you play it. I believe that he has a film in the works centered around this guitar and its travels - including present-day travels to some renowned players.

Here's John talking about and playing the guitar:

Rick
I am a big fan of JT. His book made it really hit home that no guitar on the face of the planet speaks as eloquently to a specific time and place in history as a Banner. You do not as much own one as you are entrusted it it as its keeper. Mine is a 1942 J50. What kept it from reaching the top spot on my list is the string spacing at the bridge which is a skimpy 2 1/8".