View Single Post
Old 10-04-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Forever Changes is one of my favorite albums. Dominated by horn arrangements unlike anything else before or since, and dark, determined acoustic guitar it is as you've characterized it "full of the desire for strangeness and experimentation..." while somehow comforting and unsettling at the same time.
"One of the greatest albums ever made." So say many critics, but it was never the commercial success it should have been. It is often quoted that Jim Morrison wanted the Doors to be "as big as Love", but they easily surpassed Love in terms of popularity, which was unfair. I am lucky enough to have seen Love, in all its versions, a dozen or so times in the past fifteen years or so, both with Arthur and Johnny and without and the songs are just phenomenal. Love were one of the first bands I really got into after The Beatles and The Monkees and remain one of my favourite bands and it's rare when I pick up a twelve string that I don't play 'Live & Let Live' or 'A House Is Not a Motel'. 'ĦQue Vida!' from Da Capo (a candidate for best Side 1 of an album ever) is also my tester for how comfortable a neck is on a guitar and my barometer for how well set up the action is.

My suggestions for the OP are the UK's Kaleidoscope (not David Lindley's, though I like them too). 'Tangerine Dream' is a near perfect album and their 'From Home To Home' album as Fairfield Parlour is in my all time top 3 albums.

And of course, you must also check out The Pretty Things, who had an influence on everyone from The Who, Pink Floyd, Soft Machine and The Moody Blues to David Bowie, who did two Pretties songs on his Pin-Ups album. They started as an r'n'b band arguably at least as good as the Stones, who morphed into psychedelic heroes who delivered the world's first rock opera in 'SF Sorrow' and until recently were still delivering the goods live. Phil's death this year was a real blow.