View Single Post
Old 10-03-2020, 02:10 PM

Gene Clark with the Gosdin Brothers (1967). Clark’s solo effort after leaving The Byrds. Good tunes and solid musicianship. I came across it the other day by chance (looking for Clarence White) and have only listened once, but I thought I’d include it here because I was surprised at how good it sounded. Anyone agree?

Mentioning these because all or most of the tracks on the album are very good:

Deep at Night by Alex De Grassi (1991). Modern acoustic fingerstyle, unusual tunings. Aptly titled dreamlike music. Very well written, played and recorded.

Django Reinhardt & Stephane Grappelli: I Got Rhythm (2006). Compilation of 24 instrumental swing singles released in the 30s to the 50s, totalling over an hour. I’ve had a few similar compilations and hadn’t heard many of these tracks. Good from start to finish is a bit of an understatement because of the order in which the tracks play. It just keeps getting better.

Aja by Steely Dan (1977). Jazz-pop fusion. Well worth repeated listening, especially if you like some parts but aren’t sure about others. After 40 years, I’m still greatly impressed by the craftsmanship all around. There are YouTube videos about the making of the album.

11-17-70 by Elton John (1971). Live radio broadcast, some of which was released as his fifth album. Voice, piano, bass and drums, rocking hard all the way through (if that sounds unlikely, give it a listen, you’ll be surprised). The 1971 release featured six tracks and now there’s a 13-track reissue of the whole performance.