View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ford View Post
Nor has it been identified, I'd say. "Growing" nut slot? What exactly is a growing nut slot?
Frank, come on.... I think it is quite clear what the "growing nut slot" John is referring to.

Thinking a bit more after the last few posts, something doesn't add up...

1) Why would the nut need to come out other than the requirement for alteration - specifically shimming its bottom to make it taller to accommodate newer higher frets? Let me know if there is something I am missing.

2) If the nut needs to be altered, ivory or otherwise, I think most if not all of my clients would choose to have a new well-made bone nut installed rather than have the original nut altered AND some original wood cut away AND have some wood fill inserted to fill in the "growing nut slot".

3) I consider nut and saddle to be replaceable items, just like frets, strings, and tuners - to be replaced when necessary.

Hence, I still cannot think that on a vintage Martin the best way to deal with a stubborn nut is to cut away some wood, however, little, and fill in the gap with wood fill.

Rather, I'd prefer to get some LEGAL ivory (legal ivory does exist, does it not?) for those connoisseurs of ivory who wish to pay more for it, or just replace with a good quality bone blank.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia