View Single Post
Old 05-31-2017, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icaro738 View Post
hey guys. thanks for helping me. i have a question for you. i wanna start to use effects on guitar, reverb (some modulate), and i need a EQ cuz my pickup is the lr baggs anthem sl...without eq, some times it gets too low on eq. my question is: Buy a Zoom A3 or buy three pedals ( boss rv6, boss GE7 and a cheap tuner pedal)?

i spent a lot of money on my pickup and my fear is zoom a3 suck my sound, lose quality and signal cuz is a digital stompbox. so...what you guys think ? i know that stompbox is better than multiFX but is cheaper buy the zoom a3 but i dont want that problems...
In terms of sound, the A3 is very good, so no worries about it "sucking sound". However, you can only chain together 2 effects (plus guitar body modeling if you use it). That's not a lot. You wrote you want reverb, modulation and EQ. Reverb and modulation will work, but you will not be able to use EQ as an effect patch. You can then only use the 3 EQ knobs on the unit. This will be fine if you use it for only one instrument, but if you switch to another, you will need to turn the knobs. And of course the knobs don't give you as much EQ control as an effect patch EQ would.

I highly recommend the A3 over multiple pedals, if it has enough effect patches for you. I could even imagine chaining TWO A3s together would be OK, using the first one for, maybe, compression and EQ, and the second one for modulation and reverb. If you instead buy various other pedals and chain them together, that is probably going to suck a lot more sound than one or two A3s.

For me, the A3 would be perfect if I could kill the modeler (which is OK but not needed for my great pickups) and instead have a 3rd effect patch. Then I would use compressor + modulation or delay (on/off) + reverb. A little bit of compression can make fingerpicking and strumming much more appealing. As I write these lines, I'm seriously considering buying a second A3 so I can chain them together as mentioned above, for a total of 4 effect (plus modeling). Then I could even add in an EQ patch for each instrument. Thanks for indirectly getting me into that mode of thinking. :-)