View Single Post
Old 11-08-2021, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
Please help out a struggling old timer. I know nothing, zero, nada, not ANYTHING about how to record music at home. I don’t even know where to start. So, here is the situation:

My daughter, for whom I would do anything, has requested a few recordings of me playing my guitar. O.K., that’s the challenge.

I have a 4 track Tascam DR40 recorder that I have no idea of how it works, but complete instructions are available on line.

Wat I need is a simple guide or instructional video that tells what all of these “things” are. I do not speak “digital” I am completely ignorant of things “internet”. I need some really basic information here. Please help!
Hi Jim…
Easy and straight forward process. Lots of YouTube videos which are overly complex. I'd just use default mode and try mounting it on a camera tripod or a mic stand, and then aiming it at yourself…between your mouth and the guitar if you sing or at the guitar body/neck joint if you only play.
  • Just pull a live (stereo not 4 track) recording. It's likely the default mode on the recorder.
  • Pull out the SD card and plug it into the computer to transfer files.
  • If you need to post-process them, there are plenty of free editors for mp3/wave files.
  • Upload them to either a cloud based site or put them on a thumb drive.

Have fun, and if you go online site, please share a link so we can hear them!

I've recorded several musicians using the built in mics on my Zoom (like your Tascam). They do a respectable job if you just stick them on a camera tripod or adapt it to a mic stand about 18" away from guitars/singers.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…