View Single Post
Old 05-26-2021, 12:09 PM

Default NGD (almost): Crack in my "new" Guild from MF

So I purchased my first "NEW" guitar since 26 years ago (first guitar I received was BRAND NEW and everything between has been used).

A Guild DS240 (I am not a high roller) from the Musician's Friend phone line (with phone discount) which I was originally told was on back-order until mid-June, but then miraculously was sent a shipping confirmation literally 2-3 days after I placed the order. It was getting shipped out of California. Big win - so I thought.

The Guild box arrives on my doorstep yesterday early afternoon - and I forced myself to "finish my work shift" and sit there in my home office (the spare bedroom) and in my work from home attire (sweats) - just salivating at the chance of ripping open the box.

Examining the shipping box - it's a Guild cardboard box with all the logos and stories etc printed all over it. I notice that the sender's address is: Van Nuys in San Fran - there's a GC store there right? hmmm....

I finally open her up and carefully pull out the contents - photographing every step of the way...thinking that maybe just maybe I'll need photos "just in case" something should be wrong with it.

Everything was neatly packed....the Guild SWAG bag was all tied up and had all the Guild razz ma tazz inside: truss rod wrench, free picks, paperwork that tells you how awesome they think they are. The guitar was wrapped tightly in its foam-paper sleeve. Not a trace of a paper invoice or any MF/GC paperwork though...hmm..

I quickly had a flashback - you know, like when you feel slightly guilty about ordering a product - you go back to every website known to man to search to make sure you got the best deal? I remember looking at the GC website just about 2 days after I placed my order - and saw that they had an "Excellent" condition USED DS240 listed at a super competitive price (lower than my sales price). Notably, that listing disappeared approximately 2 days later. hmm....

As I hold my "new" DS240 up to the light to appreciate and ogle at it, the light glistening off of it's polished sunbursted body...I notice the pleasant yet overpowering aroma of new car smell....or is it car wax? Since it had been so very long since my last "new" guitar - maybe perhaps this is the scent that I have been missing out on all these years???? hmm..

Closer examination of the pickguard and the gleamy shine coming off of it - I see... fingerprints and scratches? what?

I run my hand across the smooth glossy body - thinking -yeah maybe the dude who packed it touched the pickguard....alot. And suddenly bu--bump....there it is, a 6 inch long crack right smack dab in the middle of the lower bout.

SO DISAPPOINTED. SUPER BUMMER.

Anyway, the guys at MF were super accommodating - I had documented the whole opening with photos. They quickly sent me a return label, this cracked top Guild is headed straight back today and I have been reassured by the dudes at MF that they will re-order it and the next one delivered in Mid-June will be "Brand New direct from the Factory".

Today I am thinking about this whole situation - did they knowingly drop ship this "used" or "imperfect" guitar to me even though I had ordered a "new" one?

How does this even happen? Maybe their bankruptcy protection has something to do with it? Anybody have a similar experience? I would love to hear it.

I mean - nothing against the big conglomerate, I do like my gear advisor at MF, I'm just super disappointed that I received an obviously flawed instrument and have to go through the return process and then wait for my new piece to arrive in June.

Photo links fixed below:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UzNna7KfG5ugtx6ZA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tw7P4HUQq6QNAXYx7

Last edited by Jodythebaker; 05-26-2021 at 12:40 PM.