View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Another Approach

Aloha Barry,

Funny!

Eh, one way around an energy & money investment in Room Treatment is to mobile record yourself in larger, great sounding spaces.

When I was first getting into recording & experimentation, I had favorite churches, audio practice rooms at universities, auditoriums, & meeting rooms lined up that were perfect for the simple guitar & vocal tracks that I & most of us like to create. You can add the rest digitally if necessary. Some churches & museums sound absolutely great. Great sounding spaces are around you all over the place if you take a second look. Keeps ya from having to create your own.

Here's an extreme example of what a great space and player sound like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPfZVflJdp0

Just a suggestion, Ba! Eh, that padded mic picture still cracks me up. Ha! Eh, why not try a condom over the mic?!?

Oh, and again, stop the single mic in mono approach & record in stereo using two mic's. Immediate upgrade.

alohachris

PS: There are three great spaces that I used often for mobile tracking here in Honolulu: The stage at UH's Orvis Auditorium (early AM) the Honolulu Academy of Arts Learning Ctr. Gallery or entrance (late PM) which has high ceilings & lotsa old growth Douglas Fir, & the Big Island's 1816 All-Koa Imiola Church in Waimea (silent, perfect meeting house size)). All are different, but Oh So Natural & Wonderful Sounding. Can't find any digital plug-in, reverb or sample that could match those here.-alohachris-

Last edited by alohachris; 06-10-2017 at 07:37 PM.