View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 10:57 AM

This is all very interesting to me. As you can see from my info I have inexpensive guitars, all but one of which have laminated back and sides so I don't know how they compare to all-solid sapele-constructed guitars.

But as you can see I have four models, one each with laminated sapele (the Mitchell), mahogany (the AD30), rosewood (the AD710 which I played at an acoustic jam yesterday and the player next to me, a luthier who makes his own brand of guitars, complimented me on its sound) and maple (the AD80).

Of the four, the one I like the least is the Mitchell. However even among my cheap guitars it is the cheapest (I got it new for $99) ... so that has sort of turned me off against sapele as the guitar is loud ... but sounds bright and thin in comparison to the others. Of course it could be the guitar itself.

I will have to try out some guitars with solid sapele myself. There's a few stores within an hour or so drive from me that have some samples, such as an Eastman dreadnought and a used Martin DRS2.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin