View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 11:19 AM

I talked to Nick the other day and thought I'd share a few updates.

The top is sanded down and the rosette done...herringbone...and is ready for bracing. He commented that it's a good thing I told him I usually play with 11's instead of 12's because that will affect how he braces it. I didn't ask the specifics about what he does differently, but generally he adjusts things to make the top more responsive to lighter gauge strings.

Also, the sides are bent and formed.... still no pics yet. But neither am I pressing him for them. I'd rather he focus on building it!

And lastly, the coolest part of our discussion. We talked about neck radii. Which we all know is a very personal thing. I told him I really like the neck on my Collings, but occasionally it feels a tad bulky, but it's generally very comfortable. And on my '96 Taylor 612c, it's a bit thin with that "faster" neck Taylor was kinda known for at the time. Still very playable, but just less than ideal for me. Nick says, "Tell you what then. When I'm ready to start carving the neck, you can hang out and give me feedback so I can refine it to your preferences as I'm carving it." Blew me away that he offered to do that! Fortunately I live about 100 miles from his shop and I told him just give me a day's notice so I can get off work. I'm stoked!!!