Thread: First build
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostwriter View Post
That looks great. I am in the learning about building stage, have not started but have been watching videos, reading and learning since I have very little woodworking experience, although my grandmothers family built guitars/mandolins/violins and harps in Italy in the late 1800's and early 1900's so I felt like I wanted to give it a try and carry on the tradition. I plan to work out of my 2 car garage which may limit my year to May through September. One problem I discovered is that I may have a serious allergy to sawdust (I seem to have trouble breathing all night after being around it for any length of time.) I am going to try using a 3M respirator and filters to see if that alleviates the allergy problems otherwise I may not be able to continue. Before I start building up my tool collection, I figured I better test it out. I plan on doing some standard woodworking projects the rest of the summer, I.e. bookshelves and a workbench or two to get my feet wet so to speak. Wondered if anyone else has run across an allergy issue before?
Have you considered buying a kit where most of the cutting is done for you?

Also you can look up species of wood you're interested in on the wood database and see which ones are more prone to cause allergies.
https://www.wood-database.com/