Thread: Cargo revisited
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2021, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
From about ‘07 to ‘10 (Peavey took over in ‘10), CA was all the rage on the forums and the Cargo was an immediate hit. I took a leap of faith in March ‘08 and was super impressed with my Cargo RT, still am. I’ve owned Emeralds, CAs and a Blackbird, and the only one that has stayed with me through the years is my gateway drug...the Cargo. It’s not going anywhere.
Two of my Cargos are original CA Guitars from back when they sold new for the high $700s. I think that was around 07 - 08. I was more than satisfied with 2 Cargos, but when discussion began in the MacNichol forum and here that CA Guitars was going out of business, my wife insisted that I buy one more.

I decided that if I could get one exactly like my other two, and at the same price, I would get the third. The Podium had one and I was able to get it at the original price despite the fact that CA Guitars had raised their prices not too long before. I don't remember the date for that purchase, but it was before we knew that Peavey was going to get involved.

All three of my Cargos are RT (road tough) Wine color. I have played a Peavey Cargo a time or two. I can't really explain it, but there is just something for me about those original CA Guitars Cargos and I am glad that is what I have.

While CA Guitars was in full swing, I also ordered through The Podium, spare parts for my Cargos - extra tuning machines, bridge pegs, saddles and nuts. I still have all that too. I just knew somehow that the Cargo was too good and unique to last.

I do recall there were some QC issues along the way with CA Guitars, but The Podium (Marty Reynolds) went over each one that came in and I recall him saying that had to send several of them back due to quality issues. So I never experienced whatever those problems were.

The rumors were that the Cargo was a "loss leader" for CA Guitars, that they lost money on each one sold and the intention of the little Cargo was more of a gateway to their larger instruments than to be anyone's final purchase. They sold for less than the larger guitars, but due to the hands-on intense aspect of working with carbon fiber, cost as much to build. They apparently didn't expect the Cargo to be so popular they couldn't keep up with production.

I still don't know how true this story was, but it was a sad thing when CA Guitars closed their doors. They were innovative. I became interested in McPherson's carbon fiber offerings when I read that Ellis Seal was involved in developing the product after the Michael Kelly version. I tried one or two of those early Michael Kelly models and didn't like them at all, but the newer generation with Ellis Seal were (are) excellent.

That was a fun time when carbon fiber was a new thing in the guitar world and MacNichol forums were ticking along.

When I got my McPherson Sable and Touring, I seriously considered selling my Cargos. My wife prevailed on me to keep them, and I am glad she did. She has always been the voice of reason in my guitar activities.

Tony