View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 05:09 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Bob, thanks for the fantastic review.
Live in Gdańsk is one of my all-time favorite albums. It is so good, it literally brings tears to my eyes. I am sure you have heard it. Looking at the two CD version of Pompeii 2017, it looks like there is a good deal of duplicate material between these two offerings (Gdańsk & Pompeii). How would you compare and contrast them?
I have Live in Gdańsk on DVD and CD. While Live in Gdańsk has the Baltic Philharmonic throughout, Live at Pompeii Deluxe Edition has five bonus tracks (from Wroclaw, Poland) with the New Wroclaw Philharmonic Orchestra (conducted once again by Zbigniew Preisner) and they are all from the Rattle That Lock album.

Overall, I feel like the mixes from Live at Pompeii are better than Live in Gdańsk. Gdańsk seemed a little jumbled to me and Pompeii is much clearer. David is much livelier and the music is more energetic. As I mentioned in the review, for this outing David returned to his big rack-based rig (with many new pedals) and his sound is smoother and prettier to my ear. When compared to Remember that Night, Live in Gdańsk, which was the last performance of that tour, featured a band that appeared to me to be fatigued, road-worn, possibly a little played out. This appearance is the direct opposite: Steve Distanislao is back to smiling and and Guy Pratt is back to clowning. Did I mention that Gilmour plays a little percussion on one song?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)