Thread: Sexauer/'14
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 03:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Au Contraire, Berf, I long to be asked pertinent questions, and it amazes me how few I get. Thank you for taking my bait.

The bindings on my guitars are glued on with Titebond I, and if one reads the specs on the glue, one learns that clamping pressure makes a huge difference in the strength of the bond. It is something like 100 times stronger when it is firmly clamped than if it is merely in proximity, which is what tape is just able to do IF the bindings are perfectly bent. Since the tone of a guitar is (IMO) largely dependent on the integrity of the materials AND the joinery, strongly clamping the binding is what I call a no-brainer.

Yes, it is way under a tenth. In fact, I venture to say I have never made a guitar with a back as thick as .010", not even in maple, mahogany, or even catalpa. As it happens, I measured this one before I assembled (I usually don't as I work to feel) and it is .072+/-. My heaviest backs that I have measured would be about .085, and my thinnest .055 (Jatoba is unbelievably stiff!). The harder rosewoods (D. tuc. is a softer rosewood) will tend to be under .070 and over .065.