View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 05:56 PM

Thanks folks for all of the kind words. What is the old expression, "By perseverance the snail reached the ark."

And yes, beginning in next year's 2020 race, the qualifying standards were made more challenging by an additional 5 minutes, which may not seem like much, but for a 65 year old walking the fault line on making the required time in the first place, it might as well have been an eternity.

Registration will not open for next year's Boston Marathon until the fall, so I am not officially in until they say I'm in, but I'm choosing faith over fear and remaining optimistic that I've done enough to punch my ticket into the granddaddy of all running races, and when you get right down to it, how many folks get an opportunity to see a near life long dream come true. I am truly blessed.

Cypress, That is helpful information - thank you. I will probably stay a bit closer to the finish line and take the shuttle busses to the start. It will cost me some dough, to be sure, but this is a once in a lifetime event and a last hurrah, so to speak, so I'm going to splurge a bit and treat myself. Which years did you run?

fitness, I applaud your dedication to taking care of yourself - it is not always easy but becomes easier when you make it a habit, and you've obviously done that. Back in my day before the advent of computers and cell phones, we kids amused ourselves by playing all manner of sports, climbing trees, and more or less staying out of range of my stay at home mom who didn't want us around the house getting under her feet. Junior high brought my first exposure to what was then called the President's Physical Fitness testing, where in winning the 7th grade 600 yard run, I was told (not asked) to report to the track the following day to run cross country. Been running ever since.

I do not have facebook, but the information on the link is great none the less. Thank you