View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 08:07 AM

Default Strings wound around itself ?

The most instances I have had to scrap a brand new G-string - it's only the B or G string, always it seems - I take a good look at it, to see what manufacturing flaws there is different from the FORMER string I put on, the old one, that actually intonated properly.

I look through it through strong bright white light and almost x-ray it. It's opaque but the thing I've found out 10 times out of 10, is that that "faulty" strings seems to be screwed (!) or really, TWISTED around itself too much. Almost like they've been braided. I e the construction, you can see fine lines that winds/twists around the string ALONG the strings length, just as on a rope.

The only comparison I can do is: Take a steel string with a ball end on it. Make that a double ball end string. Stick a needle through both holes of both ball ends, and turn one needle to the right, and the other needle to the left. Sort of twists around itself. Daft comparison, but...

It looks like these strings have been stuck in that position in manufacturing or packaging. I can think that the stretching that occurs ain't enough for bringing the string diameter equal and even throughout its entire length.

I don't know if you'd ever took notice of this, but this is what I've found out so far, regardless of brand, tension, or model. The ones that hasn't got that much twists fares better (which, in all aspects, would be contrary to physics involved!) in intonation. G or B strings only. E-strings are always an even wash. I do not know - however - if this is JUST A COINCIDENCE that this occurs TOO within strings that doesn't hold the intonation up, for any other reason, despite brand new and has been let to settle in.

Always, when breaking up a new package, those strings are more prone to COIL up when trying to lay them flat straight out on a table or something. This means they have more twists inside them. Like those ole retro curly guitar leads... :-)

Last edited by Honch; 01-27-2014 at 08:26 AM. Reason: added comment