View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
Thanks for the replies.
My painting instructor and mentor is a wonderful guitarist as well. I’m trying to get him to join the forum.

My art work is fairly illustrative and I hope to improve my technique and vision substantially so that the paint itself will have a life to it beyond what it portrays. That specifically has been the steepest part of the learning curve for me.

I paint portraits, landscape, and still life. Often when I teach it involves accurate drawing and believable skin tones- so I end up painting lots of head studies as demos.

FLRon,
Don’t let color blindness keep you from exploring painting/ drawing. Color is secondary to value ( how light or dark something is) and shape. Many great landscapes are almost achromatic. All the great drawings are simply variations of gray shapes( graphite or charcoal ).
Now I get to ask. How large are those "larger portraits"?? And oh, I totally agree with the comment re: color blind-ness. Color IS secondary to value, at least I think so. One of the best paintings (IMO) I ever did used two colors. A blue and a brown. And, OK, some white, but that was it. Oh, it is 32" X 40". Oil. That baby is now 42 years old. The second image is of her at 28.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)

Last edited by fumei; 01-20-2021 at 06:22 PM.