View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
For doing a final shaping of the fingerboard extension where it meets the soundhole, I ALWAYS join the fingerboard first.

Then, you have a guide for the final shaping. You also need to be careful that you sand a good curve even when a harder object (ie: fret) is complicating your filing.

Here are a couple pics of a custom classical I made with both an elevated fingerboard extension and an extended fingerboard (high C).

Shaped only by hand and eye and hand tools. Yes, it IS indeed a lot of effort - physical effort and brain effort. If it were easy, more people would be building world class instruments just by hand. But it isn't easy, and especially hand work will show the level of one's true craftsmanship and skill. It is comparatively easy to learn to be a tool operator with jigs and CNC (computer numeric controlled) manufacturing. Some people build great guitars that way. But...

Ned, how do you get such a great curvature on the fretboard end? do you have something concave that you put the sandpaper on? do you have a curved chisel or something? your curves are of course much better than what i am doing and would love to know how you make such a perfect curve by hand. if you're willing to explain of course. i am very frustrated with mine and am contemplating just cutting it straight this time until i can figure out how to do a better curve. since you join the fingerboard 1st how to you cut off the fretboard to curve it? just sanding or finely with a chisel real slow? do you use the actual soundhole as a guide in that case? sand/chisel until you hit the edge of soundhole?