View Single Post
Old 07-17-2015, 03:21 PM

Default Acoustic guitar live + 2 pickups installed: LR Baggs M80 & Anthem. Many questions

Okay. Tricky one. But I'm in the right place to ask it. You clever.

I've got a Martin. No pickup. I'm gonna install:

- LR Baggs M80, soundhole pickup, humbucker.
- LR Baggs Anthem, piezo + mic

Both of them of course having their own endpin Jack waiting for me to alter my beautiful guitar.

2 questions here, but interdependent.

My intention: Live performance. Anthem for fingerpicking and clean in general. M80 to add distortion, boosting when needed, effects in general.

I accept recommendations regarding feedback issues and the best way to combine these two sweet pups regarding the sound (for example: does anyone know if Anthem would be good at being distorted or run through pedals?)

And related to that, but more specifically:

-What do you think I should do?
-Is there a way of combining the two pups into one signal and run it through one bigger cable (a cable that exists in the market ).
- Do you think given the characteristics of the pickups itd be better to run two separate signals and alternate between them on stage depending on the sound I want to obtain?
- Would these two combined signals give me a thicker and more coloured and versatile sound or would they be fighting each other, especially regarding feedback. For instance, if running the combined signal through distortion.
- Since I guess Anthem is not suited for the distortion/boost task (or at least not in the way the M80 is), then two separate signals might be best but:
a) Two separate signals that are combined inside the guitar (therefore one single hole) but later split outside the guitar through one pedal, and then running through two different sets and therefore amplifiers
b) Two separate signals since the beginning. Two holes for my Martin. Pure Caitlyn Jenner transformation.

- And what about the amplifiers?

Is there anything else worth asking that I've missed when transcribing the Bible?

Guys, so many questions, and I can't pay you. Thatd go against the spirit of this beautiful site. Not that I'm poor.
But I'll remember you in my prayers to LR Baggs CEO.

PS: If you dont know what im talking about. Check this. 4:40 when he switches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYPCYboEpmk
Sometimes he uses soundhole pickups sometimes he doesn't. I guess with proper volume piezo + mic can be distorted without feedback.

Some experience?