View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

I very much doubt that the appearance of Asian instruments with a Bourgeois label will adversely impact the value of guitars made in Maine. Dana Bourgeois wouldn't have agreed to a deal that would have that impact. I think the Eastman-made Bourgeois guitars will have a distinct identity and people looking for one of the American-made models will know the difference. People who are just looking for a new guitar in a shop or online who don't understand the difference between lower priced imports and hand built guitars wouldn't be likely to shop in the price range of a Maine-built guitar whether there were Eastman-made versions available or not. People who buy Martin Authentics understand that they are different from the lowest-priced Martins in the same size and shape. I think the same will be true with Bourgeois guitars after their Eastman varieties appear.

More generally, if resale is your primary concern, you may be better off with a better known brand like Martin. Pretty much every guitar player has heard of them. Not so with Bourgeois. On the other hand, if you are primarily concerned with getting an outstanding instrument built in a small shop to the highest standards, than a Bourgeois deserves your full consideration.