View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Congrats on pulling the Rainsong trigger. You won't be disappointed. I still like wood guitars (especially koa) but find myself reaching for the CF ones more often. With the exception of my all-koa Taylor 424, if they all disappeared I would only replace the carbon fiber ones.

Back to your original question: when during the winter I notice that my two room hygrometers read 34-38% I still leave them out but watch much closer for any signs of trouble -- like obvious top grain "printing through" the finish, sinking bridge / low action, the center seam starting to become visible, and similar symptoms. If any guitar seems to need it, that guitar goes into its case with a damp sponge for a week of spa treatment. But most of the time my house stays at 38-45% RH so I don't have to "fret" too much anymore.
Yes! The only "fretting" you want going on is with the fingers of your left hand! It's good to hear that you've generally had no problems with 34-38%.

If all of my guitars were gone, I would want to replace the OM-28V and the Eastman E10 OO Hog. And I'm sure I'd want to replace the RainSong.

Among my electric guitars, I have quite a few, but would likely only replace three or four of them.

I think I'm going to continue maintaining about 37-38% in my guitar closet - while keeping an eye out for any tell-tale signs of a need for "spa treatment". I only have the Martin and the Eastman to have to keep an eye on with regard to humidity.