View Single Post
Old 09-25-2022, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Thankfully there's a bunch of stuff on YouTube, with better audio and video quality, that illustrates many of the techniques I mentioned. If you're interested in developing your plectrum technique, I'd recommend typing "classical archtop" into the AGF search engine and watching/listening to some of the videos posted (FYI this style of play is enjoying a minor resurgence, and there are a few guys pulling off stuff from the Spanish repertoire generally thought to require an advanced right-hand fingerstyle technique); you might also want to pick up a copy of Mel Bay's Masters of the Plectrum Guitar, a compendium of prewar-period "classical archtop" and original chord-melody solos by the likes of Harry Volpe, Al Hendrickson, et al. ...

Outside of his formidable chops, the things I remember best about Jack were his shared passion for all things guitar and easy-going manner/teaching style - as a ten-year-old, it was almost like taking lessons from my big brother; this clip will provide a bit of insight into his technical development - for which I was there during many of the earlier stages:

- and my favorite from his more recent material, tearing it up with Howard Alden on this Tal Farlow composition:

Thanks Steve. I just ordered the book from melbay.com because they currently have a 30% off sale. I am well stocked with a variety of picks. I have this idea that if I can get used to the Black Mountain thumb pick picks, I could handle fingerstyle and have the pick whenever I need it.

Those videos you linked are quite good and inspiring. I will look up "classical archtop". Also, I noticed that Mel Bay had soe books, particularly a Sal Savadore classical plectrum book, but I will wait on that until I start getting into the one I just ordered.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...