View Single Post
Old 09-20-2022, 10:28 PM

Had a lot of cars I really enjoyed and they were a big part of lots of great adventures. Started owning cars while attending college. First was one of the few I bought new. It was a 70 VW Microbus. Bought it at the duty free shop at the airport in Amsterdam. It was so stripped, it only had floorboards in the front and had no paneling anywhere. Had it 12 years. Did three trips back and forth across the US, trips from New York to Florida and back, and a trip from Washington, DC to New Orleans in it. Had a few hundred thousand miles on it but not sure of the exact amount as the odometer only lasted about 8 years. Had numerous old Volvo and Saab Wagons, a little 79 Accord, and a 76 Alfa sedan that was fun. Had an old 59 Ford Fairlane and a 52 Ford Custom (fully restored everyday driver) for a few years. Been driving a CT200 hybrid for about 6 years and bought 21 Lexus UX 250 hybrid this year. The hybrids have been particularly nice cars for me.

The 2 most fun cars and automotive chapters, however, were my 04 Mini Cooper which I had for 12 years. Just my size n so much fun. Totally reliable too. It developed a load of expensive electrical problems and I gave it to a young deserving .... who put it all back together for himself. Most unique and special was the 52 Bentley MK VI I picked up in 71 while visiting my family in London. Cost me $3,000. Could have bought a new Pinto or Vega for the same money at that time. It was beautiful. Very smooth for its time, but to be honest, it drove like a truck in a tuxedo.

My wife drove a 75 Alfa Spider til her fingers wouldn’t let her shift gears. She did Saab Convertibles for a while, and she has had an old Nissan 350Z for about 6-7 years. She loves it and had it detailed today. In our early 70s, still love being on the road.

Jeff

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)