View Single Post
Old 02-07-2022, 09:22 PM

Default Four-piece tops, stiffness, and tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
That’s interesting…Taylor never does anything this big without a major announcement …

I’m pretty sure that it isn’t getting much attention from customers yet because it is primarily on Koa minis. Maybe Taylor’s strategy on this one is to avoid the “splash risk” and phase it in much more quietly than…V bracing.

In either case, I would be curious to hear Taylor’s formal published opinion on the impacts of a four piece top. If they move them into other parts of the line, I’m sure they will explain it to customers and help us understand how it affects tone, longevity, and/or value. I’m guessing it will be “different, but not inferior.”

My experience supports that perspective. I have one of these Koas with four pieces and I am quite happy with it. It seems a bit warmer and louder than the two piece equivalents of the same model when I have played twos and fours side by side, which I also hear in the Alamo Music video. This warmth perhaps comes at the cost of some glassier and sometimes sharper trebles, which on a mini is a good thing. It still sounds like a Taylor guitar but shifted more toward Martin’s tone. Still trying to understand why and how that works. Rumor is that the extra glue joints make it slightly stiffer:
https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.c...ic.php?t=22668

Anyway, I would look for it on the K series and/or the Tecate-made or AD series, as I’d expect this to show up on either affordable models or else those with extremely rare wood species.

Ibanez PF-15CE-MS 2003
Taylor 410-CE-L2 2003
Taylor 322e 12-Fret 2015
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa 2015
Taylor GS Mini-e Ltd Ovangkol 2019
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa Plus 2020
Taylor 414ce 2020
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Sunburst - 2005

Previous Guitars:
Epiphone DR-100 2006 (est.)
Squier Bullet Blue 2006 (est.)
Taylor 414ce 2008 - RIP 2020
Fender CD-60CE SB-DS-V2 2013

Last edited by PeteyPower16; 02-07-2022 at 09:37 PM.