View Single Post
Old 01-24-2022, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italuke View Post
Yes, I generally agree with this part of your comment. In fact, I'm actually a "jobbing" bass player, more so than guitar. I can't imagine playing bass and not knowing a fair amount of theory. It's what helps me play the right note at the right time. Still there are other days when I'm playing guitar, and I feel my extensive theory knowledge actually hinders me. So it's not black and white, it's grey.
One of the many things I find usefull about an awareness specifically of the intervals which are used in music is that you know what people expect to hear, I used to play a fingerstyle arrangement of Georgia the chords to which I mostly took from a lead sheet I bought online, at some points I stretched the timings to add some other other notes for a bit of a counter melody , someone asked me where I got those other notes from and did they come frome the chords, at the time I said yes as I didn't feel like getting into a whole discussion about it but what was really behind it was that I knew that people would expect to hear filler notes from the chords so just for interest at a few points I just played what would not be expected and this interesting counter melody emerged, I did not know that would happen it's just playing with intervals and see what happens.