View Single Post
Old 01-12-2022, 08:42 AM

Default which tuning to choose?

I have a passing familiarity now with CGDGAD tuning and to a lesser extent CGDGCD. I would like to grow my familiarity with one of these by arranging celtic type and Carolan melodies but I can only focus on one .
Lots of fingerstyle guitarists whose style I like use CGDGCD but El McMeen seems to be the only one taken with CGDGAD, so I am wondering if there is some draw back to this tuning that the proffesionals who play celtic etc have discovered?
I am not too bothered about playing in lots of keys, C and G are fine and D would be a nice to have bonus but not a requirement as I find Drop D ok for what I do.
My experience with both of these is not enough to make a meaningfull comparison between the two but my early impressions are that CGDGCD produces the more impressive tone but I strugle more with fingering harmonies under the melody but with CGDGAD my fingers seem to find it easier to locate the small chords bellow a melody line but the overall tone is not so impressive somehow.
I would be interested if anyone is familiar with both of these tunings and what would make you choose one over the other if you had to choose only one tuning?
Many thanks for any comments.