View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
I put my first pickup on a guitar in 1970. It was a Barcus-Berry unit with a primative preamp. It worked.

The first time I tried a guitar with a saddle piezo (an Ovation), I knew I would NEVER use that sort of system, and I understood what was going on, immediately: The sound was coming through the speaker before it was coming out of the sound hole.

It screwed up my phrasing, my timing, etc.

Fazool expressed it very well in an amusing way, but I feel just as strongly almost 50 years later.

There's nothing better than a perfect room with an audience that is there to listen, and great PA system with great mics & a sound man who knows what's what.

In the real world my system has stood me in good stead: A single Fishman SBT-E soundboard transducer under the top near the bass end of the bridge.

If I'm traveling light I bring a Fishman Pro-EQ and go into the PA. If I'm supplying the sound I plug directly into a Fishman Loudbox Performer Amp.

It gives a very, very good representation of my sound as a player, and it does this with minimal fuss.

Here's what I'm talking about:

HE

Very nice Howard. I enjoyed the arrangement. Thanks for adding to the discussion. One of the things that I hear from players that play in loud, or larger, environments is that the under saddle transducer provides “immediacy” to the sound.

Perhaps, when you add the 5 or 10ms delay from the IR, you end up with something that approximates the sound hole in terms of timing.