View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMKC View Post
Yeah, I started there and ended up bailing. Found the instructional part just moved too fast for me. Shame but I'm old.
Just stop the video and rewind a bit. Take your time and go at your speed. You wouldn't believe how slow I go with certain songs when I'm first learning them. When I say one beat at a time, I mean one beat at a time like 1...........................................2..... ....................................3 then repeat. I'll go that slow doing just one measure, then back again, then again. Once I understand the basic positions I will go to the next measure. Many times I won't even look at the video for a song until I can play it at half speed and then just to check on hand position matters if any exist.

After a while things just naturally speed up once you know where your fingers are going without looking. Sometimes getting to that point takes a while.

The hard part of learning a song is to have the patience not to play faster than the pace at which you make zero mistakes. That is hard. I like hearing the feedback of the melody of a song and I don't get it initially at the snails pace it takes for my fingers to learn where to go. Frustrating, but it pays off later.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}: