View Single Post
Old 05-16-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJ View Post
Looking for some tips/ideas for this renewed interest. I've played for years and tried to add slide to my playing before, without it ever sticking. I'm more determined than ever this time. Have a couple of guitars that stay in Open G and D so I can get right to it when the mood strikes.

I'm mostly interested in Blues, but like other slide-y genres as well. Ry Cooder, Kelly Joe Phelps, Tony Furtado, etc.

I've found lots of good stuff on YT (Tom Feldmann, ActiveMelody.com and others) but am always interested in what others are learning and playing, tips on slides, strings, techniques, etc.

Anybody out there got anything to say on this subject?
Pick a tuning and just work in that tuning. Open G. D Even standard. Learn your inversions in that tuning that are playable with the slide. Even in standard, you can get a major triad on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th string, a minor on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Learn where the partials to do a power chord for the minors if you are doing Open G or D. Above all, play slowly. People try to play to fast. A slow move just sounds so cool. Listen to Lowell George.