View Single Post
Old 10-09-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
4.5 lbs is not light--but OK.

5.5 to 6 lbs. would be a noticeable difference for me, I think.

I checked the weight again on a less precise scale and it still came to 4.58 lbs, essentially the same. So your OF660 is much higher weight if your scale is correct.

I would like to know if there is some change in the construction to account for this. Or, maybe yours is an exception for some other reason.

At 6 lbs, it would be a full 1/3 heavier guitar now, compared to mine. Significant, IMO.

This has my full attention because I've had my eye on the nylon string version since it was introduced. All things being equal, it may be significantly heavier also. I've been waiting to hear more player experience and see more reviews.

I played nylon sting for many years in the past and still love the sound. I thought that would be a nice addition--or more likely--a replacement for my steel string OF660. I still love the steel string, but I need to keep my guitar inventory to a bare minimum for a number of reasons.

But an increase of 1 to 1.5 lbs for a guitar with a 12 inch width, is something I would need to think through a bit before seriously considering any changes. I love what I have now. So AGF is a dangerous place for me to visit, planting ideas I don't "need". ;-)
---------------
BTW, on my older gloss version, I can see the CF fabric weave on back, sides, and neck directly. The only places it cannot be seen is on the front and back of the headstock, and the front soundboard of the guitar body.

The weave is not as visible as it is on an Emerald, for instance, (Journey uses a finer weave pattern) but it is visible when looking closely or in strong light. Otherwise, from even a short distance away, it looks just black. I looked closely all over where weave is visible on mine, but have not seen any defects that are noticeable.
Sanding, of course, would make it easier to see--but I love gloss.
When I contacted Journey a few months ago about the weight and how they had listed it incorrectly on their website, he went and measured four OF-660's and said they were all around 5 lb. He said he would change the weight on the website.
He also said they are working on a new unibody model that will come in around 4.5 lb.

Last edited by goog64; 10-09-2021 at 02:55 PM.