View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Whigham View Post
I like to DIY as much as the next guy but I'm not sure DIY is the best option in this area. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't - I haven't tried them all so I don't know - but there's one area that I'd ask you to consider: resale.
That's a very good point. However, the maximum I can afford to spend on a pre will be about £200 ($300). DIY looks like the only way in to a mid-range unit. I keep an eye on ebay etc but there don't seem to be a lot of preamps for sale.

Quote:
So are you that type of guy? Are you going to always be chasing that great recorded sound?
Up to a point. The plan at the moment is to pick up something second-hand from RME like a Multiface, one or two modest but decent pres, and get my room treated. Maybe a mic here or there to supplement my ADK A6. Nothing fancy just some solid performers. I think I'd be pretty happy with that. OK maybe just a little Royer/AEA lust...

After that, anything else would go towards a really good guitar. That's the main thing. No point having lots of expensive gear if you don't have a good instrument. I'll call that Moon's law: if the cost of your studio is more than your instruments, you've stopped being a musician and turned into a recording engineer.