View Single Post
Old 08-12-2020, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

FWIW, I virtually never end up using any EQ, other than some sharp low end rolloff - usually below 40Hz or so. If the guitar doesn't sound good, I move the mics, try a different guitar, different strings, different mics, file my nails - whatever. I have used this technique of sweeping a boost to find bad frequencies to cut, but more often when working on others recordings or maybe old recordings, where I don't have the option of redoing the track with different mic placement.

One thing I do use, tho, is dynamic EQ, which is basically an EQ triggered by a multiband compressor. it can solve issues like an occasionally boomy bass note, or a harsh overtone, without affecting the overall EQ of the guitar, except for the moment it's needed. For example, here's a snapshot of Ozone's Dynamic EQ with some reduction on a bass note and a higher frequency, in action:

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 5.43.36 PM.jpg

its sort of two different situations, depends on whether your guitar tone is problematic over all - in which I case, I prefer to address it a different way - or if you have a problem note here and there.

Last edited by Doug Young; 08-12-2020 at 07:11 PM.