View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Kev

Can I ask you a question regarding treatment placement please.

I currently play facing in to a three sided square - so treatment in front of me and to both sides but nothing behind me. I did this to calm any reflections coming straight from the guitar.

I have read somewhere that I should reverse this and play with the treatment behind me, as this is the live side of the mics - and dispense with the treatment in front of me as this is the dead side of the mics.

Would you agree?

Essentially I have three large panels (1.4m x 1.4m) and then multiple smaller 0.6x0.6 that can be placed anywhere.

Thanks

Peter.
We usually think of directional microphones as all or nothing, front picks up sound, back doesn't. But that's not the case at all. The sides are usually on 3-6 dB down from the front, back is 6-9 dB down, and these measurements are at 1 khz only. Different frequencies will be even less attenuated, some are more.

It's also the case that off-axis sound is less likely to be smooth and sweet.

So my experience and theory have led me to place attenuating panels behind the mics. The idea is that the sound starts at the guitar, passes the mics, passes through the panels, reflects and returns through the panels before hitting the mics again, giving double attenuation of the off-axis sound.

Of course experimentation tells the story in your particular situation, but my tests in a small untreated room definitely indicated the behind the mic position was the most effective in reducing room effects. http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2011/...adband-panels/

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog