View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 11:53 AM

I’m going to give this a bump for (my own) fun. Below is Brendan’s excellent post detailing his thoughts on several popular builders.

The question I’d like to pose is whether anyone wants to take a shot at slotting in some of the builders that might be considered ultra high end (Ryan, Somogyi, Olson) or more “budget” (Eastman).

Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Here is how I hear them:

- Martin (dark timbre, bass biased, midrange scooped)
-
- Goodall TR (Traditional series) (vintage voice, slight mid scoop, very strong bass and great sustain, super resonant, loud. Think 70% Martin, 20% Gibson, 10% Collings)
- Santa Cruz (vintage voice, strong but not booming bass, midrange enhanced, tons of harmonic nuance. Think 70% Martin, 30% Gibson)
- Bourgeois (vintage voice, more midrange than Martin, puts out exactly what you put into it)
-
- Huss & Dalton (Bass timbre of Martin with Collings mids and highs. Think 60% Martin, 40% Collings)
-
- Collings (Cutting, in-your-face-all-the-time clarity, massive volume, tight quick bass (OMs don't have enough IMO), plays like a coiled spring and outputs 125% of what you put into it)
- Webber (A slightly mellower Collings with similar mids and highs)
-
- Taylor