View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcunplugged View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on large versus small diaphragm condenser mics for recording acoustic guitar at home?

I have a large diaphragm, and I've struggled to get decent sound from it. But, ill be the first to admit that a recording engineer I'm not! i seem to spend more time mucking with settings than actually playing, so I finally gave up and started using the built-in mics on my Zoom Q3HD.

What are the advantages of each type? I'm thinking maybe a matched set of smalls for Christmas.

Any thoughts own that?
Thanks,
GC
Hi GC,

Here's my experience:

Your problem is almost certainly not the microphone. As others have already said - the differences between mics (at least for someone just starting out recording) are relatively subtle.

Before you start throwing money at a problem that probably doesn't exist, try another guitar, new or different strings, the pick you're using (if you're using one) the position of the microphone in relation to the guitar, the room you're recording in.

In that order, those are the things I would pay attention to first.

And one more thing that's maybe the most important.

A recording doesn't lie. You might have played guitar for years never knowing exactly what you sound like.

Jim McCarthy