View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Thank to all for your answers --

JayBee:
Quote:
Karen, it sounds from your post that you’re expecting to break strings. I haven’t broken a string during play for many, many years - maybe twenty, or twenty five years.
I play in many tunings. That's when breakage occurs. Mostly it's the "B" string, (no problem there), occasionally the G. I will look at investigating the possibility of other reasons for string breakage as you suggested.

baw: Those Musician friends strings could work just to finish out the night at a gig.

Hassom: I'll check out various D'addario strings.

Wade: Since I play in lots of tunings, string breakage happens, sometimes in pretty new strings. If I have to put on a whole set I would,but it seems wasteful and enrivonmentally irresponsible. I'd rather find a set that meets all my requirements (not too many overtones, less squeak, etc) that does offer single strings. I know (and Hassom suggested) there are single D'addario strings. I've tried over the many years of playing various D'addario strings. I'll look again at them.
Thanks for your well considered thoughts.

Steelvibe and Chalk: I will need to check with the online string companies and see if they can get Martin Retro Strings individually. And what brands they actually do carry as individual strings.

rokdog: I've called Martin and they don't sell Retro strings individually. I didn't know about Curt Mangan strings. Just checked and they do have Monel strings. I might try these before I try the Martin Retro. Though it seems they don't sell those individually. I'll give them a call today to talk about their strings. I may not even like the sound of Monel on my guitar.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

Last edited by KarenB; 06-18-2019 at 06:22 AM.