View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
So how do you "guitarize" it? Yes, given enough time to mess around I guess you can eventually figure it out by guessing and experimenting. But I'm talking about being able to play it on the spot, the same way a child is able to sing a simple melody on the spot after hearing it a few times.

I just started ear training on Justin Guitar website and he talks about interval training... Being able to hear and quantify the distance between one note to the next. So I am thinking if you were really good at this, then this is how you can figure out things on the spot.

I'm thinking this is what I need to strive for, and wanted to know if others went through this kind of training.
It's a natural process that happens automatically the more you play guitar - provided you actually listen to what you play!
It may take years (if you don't focus on the process particularly), but you end up internalizing the sounds of chords, the sounds of particular intervals.
Of course, if you focus and constantly test yourself, the process would be quicker. Play a note, sing it. Sing a note, find it on guitar. Play a chord, sing the notes in the chord one by one. Etc.

Quite simply, that's how you establish the link between the guitar and your ear. You can do it without singing - just listening closely to the differences between chords and intervals, characterising their individual qualities - but singing helps it feel organic, more personally connected to you. (And if you can't sing now, it will improve your singing too.)