View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
Jeb, oh my! That back, that headstock! The simple lines and color! It definitely captures the original L-5 and updates it. Enjoy, revel, celebrate. What a day!

Tell us about the touch, the sound, the dynamic range... everything!
Hi Guy,

Here is a sound clip courtesy of Dream Guitars of Grammy award winning Al Petteway playing my AT 16.

Apparently they had it in 2006 and probably got it from the original owner. I called Dream Guitars and they confirmed it was a 2005 and are going to try to contact the original owner to find out the Collings dealer that sold it.

I think it sounds really close to Eric Schoenberg's 1929 Gibson L-5 that he is playing on a youtube recording of "Good Ship Lollipop".

The AT 16 has an overall warm punchy sound with a good bass response and as you go up the neck the bass gets creamier with a more Cello like sound. The individual notes are round and focused, the mids and highs are creamy it has great sustain and the volume is even across the spectrum.

I have the action adjusted as low as it will go and it plays like a dream with no buzz unless I hit a single string really hard.

jebsong