View Single Post
Old 03-28-2018, 08:40 PM

Smile Sable amplification

Hi guys! I’m new to the forum. Although I’ve played everything acoustic from Ovations to Martins and Taylors etc. to my old Strat over the last 45 years, I acquired a McPherson Sable last May, and it has become my go to guitar. I play very percussively and whack it pretty hard, and it’s perfect for that non-nuanced style. A close friend and I AB’d it to his wooden McPherson and my stellar Martin JC-40, and without visual input it sounds like a high end wooden guitar. I’ve been extremely impressed with its stability/sameness every time out of the case and how that affects my playing.

Now, although I appreciate those who try to achieve an acoustic amplified sound similar to that of the un-amplified guitar, I also want to use this in a band setting in roles that I might have previously filled with an electric. I realize that this may be a bit of heresy here, but I’m looking for advice from any who have tried different compressors, DIs, drives, and modulation devices, and other effects with this critter, as well as tube amps that have been tried. I haven’t been happy with my old DynaComp and Boss Comp so far, but do want a little compression in the chain. Think Monte Montgomery guys. Thanks!