View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Yes, the backstrip is tapered. I have been doing that on my "standard " guitars for about 15 years. The goal is for the backstrip to appear to flow into the graft. They are actually different tapers, of course, and it is surprisingly challenging to get the illusion just right.
Bruce, I would just like to clarify, if you would be so kind, as to why the tapers are different...

I am in the process of starting my first (well under the radar) build, and this tapered back strip melding into the end graft is a feature which I had figured into it , thinking I was being innovative, but I see I am 15 years away from being innovative...

The way I am constructing the back strip/end graft mating is to glue up the tapered strip initially overlength, ie the length of the back plus the height of the end bout, then glue up the two back halves with the center strip in between, which I assume is how you do it as well, and cut off the surplus to form the end graft. The angle will then remain the same ...obviously it requires precise measurement and cutting to get the widths at the "mating points" spot- on, and the width of the binding plays a part as well.

But as far as I can see the angle of the taper should remain the same , no ?