View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I have worked quite a bit of Yellow cedar, though I have made no guitars from it. It carves like butter, and require less attention to grain direction than most woods. Also, it is close to pore-less, and finishes very easily. The smell is strong, and while at first it is seductive, after a while it starts to seem like it has a edge to it. IMO, of course. I do have quite a few guitar sets I milled from billets that came off the beach in BC about 40 years ago, and I may build with it yet. It is one of those woods that could be used for every part of a guitar save the bridge and fingerboard. The big danger with salvaged logs is that they can have defects that don’t come to light until advanced stages of the work.
That would be a fun build. I have built a few small nylon string guitars out of spruce and pine, come to think about it, also two steel strings with fir necks and red cedar tops. A little softer than the previous mentioned woods, harness of around 420 for the spruce. The difference in hardness of the early and late wood is a little difficult for carving the heel, the yellow cedar sounds much better. With lightweight tuners the total guitar weight is, well, light. It could make a perfect couch guitar.