View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 07:21 PM

Default Learning bridge repair. Maybe I bit off more than I can chew.

Hello. I'm new to guitars (how new? I have only learned four chords), I'm enjoying learning, but I decided I also wanted to learn basic maintenance and repair. To that end, I purchased a Ibanez IJV100S-BK-38-01 with lifting bridge for $10 to learn. Looked up the process on frets.com. Today I removed the strings and took the bridge off. The previous owner tried to repair it with wood glue but it had lifted halfway up. When I removed the bridge, I noticed there was no bridge plate.
Do some guitars not have a bridge plate?
I'm wondering if I have to make a bridge plate from scratch? Anyone know where I can buy a bridge plate wood to make a bridge plate? Any advice on the removal of the wood glue on the bridge and the guitar? On frets.com, hide glue was used, any other options? Any good place to purchase hide glue? Is the hole for the bridge plate made before or after it is attached to the guitar? What size drill bit would be appropriate? Even if it was almost free, I would not want to ruin a perfectly useable guitar. Feels wrong. Going to do it slowly, but want it done as right as possible with the equipment I have.
Thanks for helping a noob.