View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I have a LONG history with PRS guitars. I started with a Custom 22, and over the years I've owned probably 10+ PRS guitars of every shape and size.

I finally settled on a PRS SC245. Mine was signed by Paul himself at an event and I just have never played a better sounding PRS. It is fat, beefy, yet is clear as a bell. No, it doesn't sound like a Les Paul, and it can be a little sterile at times, but it still has this bite and character, just enough to make it sassy.

I will probably never sell this guitar, but having said that, I am DONE with PRS electrics. I will not buy another one. I've had too many and most of them are pretty sterile and lifeless. There isn't really any character in my PRS guitars. They are too clear, too midrangy, and too just....well, blah. Pretty, but boring.

Where PRS shines to me though is when playing live. They cut through, they sound great, and they are easy to play/control. They clean up well, and just sound good live. Oh, and they stay in tune!!! Best live guitar ever.

Just don't expect to play one at home and get the satisfaction you get from playing a strat or Les Paul!
Very interesting you say this because I absolutely play my Strat style guitar at home vs my PRS and always tell myself I'm going to also play it at shows but when show time starts I grab the PRS every time. There definitely is something to it that cuts through and sounds the best live. It just has a hotter fuller tone that works out nice and cuts through. I don't even really change the pickups all that much. I pretty much leave it in the middle position and go and switch to bridge for solos. At home I play the 3 single coils, which are my absolute favorite guitar tone, through a Yamaha THR 5 and am constantly switching the pickup selector around. The Yamaha does a fantastic job of showing you exactly what your pups sounds like. I dropped a set of Porter pickups in mine. 3 single coils and swapped my PRS Dragon humbuckers for Lollar single coils for humbuckers-I like the single coil tone.

TEXSUNBURST 59, beautiful guitars! Seeing how you have the old style wing tuners Like I do on your gold top, what's you opinion on the differences between the two? I once struggled with the wings but once I figured out how exactly they work, I have no problems with them now. I can do super quick string changes.

STEEL N WOOD, I get 100% of what you're saying. I was just curious and really feel the same way you do about Fender.