View Single Post
Old 06-15-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
So your pay is about $30. Assume each of the 20 people who come (because of you) spend $20 each, the bar is pulling in $400 that they would not have made if you were not there (the cost of the hired help, electricity, etc is there whether you are playing or not). You didn't mention how long you play, assume at least 2 hours and you are hauling in a sound system, spending some of your personal time promoting the gig, changing strings, practicing, etc. I would think $150 would be a reasonable fee for you.
Once you do it for 'food and drink' you have set the bar at what your worth is, and doubtful you will ever get more - or the place will pay anyone else any more (at least on a Wednesday night).

In the northeast Massachusetts area, $150 (solo) to $300 (duo/trio) for 3 hours at a pub/restaurant is the normal.
I knew this was going to happen. Let me elaborate if my personal tale is of that much concern.

This is a small “private” tennis club that dates back to the 50’s. They have been struggling for years to stay open. As a member I pay $85 for the privilege of going to a knotty pine paneled bar with a limited food menu where my wife and her avid tennis buddies can socialize.

So, yeah, I play for $30 in food and drink and I usually go for 2-3 hours. Of the 18 people (yes, I counted) that were there on a Wednesday night in May, 12 of them were friends or family. I don’t give a rats rump about getting paid for this…and neither do the other couple members who show up on Wednesdays to play and try to bring people in.

I do it for fun. It hurts no one, gives me a chance to play (which I’ve been doing for almost 50 years) and doesn’t take bread off the table of “working musicians”.

My “worth” is way more than you can imagine. My being there may keep the Manager, the two folks in the kitchen and the wait staff (one of whom is my daughters room mate, a full time parole officer working part time to help with expenses) employed.

What is that worth? A heck of a lot more than $30 and bragging rights.