View Single Post
Old 05-22-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSE View Post
Before I bought my J45 custom I'd seen all sorts of posts about changing the tuners, some because of accuracy and appearance, but a lot of folks had weight issues with the headstock.

Now I have a 45 and the weight issue for me anyway was non-existent, I honestly don't know why people have a problem with it. My 45 is as light as a feather.

I'm certainly not knocking folks who have changed the tuners on 45's and its only my humble opinion but can the folks who've changed them because of weight really tell the difference.

In an imaginary blind test, someone passes you two 45's, one has new tuners and one has the originals, could you tell the difference? Not sure I could.
Well, the weight of the Grovers may not bother everyone. That said, comparing the Grovers to the Waverlies, there's over a 1/2 pound difference, and it's way out at the end of the headstock. Hang a 1/2 pound weight off the end of your headstock, and see if you notice it. It is not a subtle difference... the guitar is much less neck-heavy.

Someone could argue that it also may change the tone of the guitar, and I would buy that argument. However, I didn't notice any tonal change when I completed the conversion.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique