View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 09:38 AM

Really nice job. Fascinating to watch. Looking forward to seeing more.

Now, a quibble ...

Given your access to the studio and equipment, I'd really like to see you record those guitars with some better mics than a Rode NT-4. I understand the premise behind trying to be linear with the guitars, but I really found the audio samples to not be very representative of what those guitars would sound like properly miked.

I don't think you need to EQ or use compression on them, or tune to each particular guitar, but a pair of nice condensers (Schoeps) in an x-y off the neck joint or 12th fret through good mic preamps would make all the difference in the world and really let us hear some of the tonal nuances.

Not a knock on the Rode NT-4 -- I own one -- but just a comment that there are much better mics and techniques that I'm sure you're very familiar with. Hearing how these guitars sound properly mic'd is always revealing. Check the SoundPure website for some of their demos, which are very well done (aside from that annoying burst of drum machine at the beginning of each recording).

I would love to offer you some of my Lowdens, Schenks and Huss and Daltons to feature, but I don't think you'd be able to demo them left-handed.

original music: http://vicderobertis.com