View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
There's no "perfect" solution, if that's what you mean, but there's certainly more that can be done throw up our hands. Higher fines/penalties and stricter enforcement would definitely keep many people at bay out of fear of losing their money/license or going to jail if they try to drive once their license is suspended. I don't drive while on a cell phone, but if I did, if I knew a cop observing me doing so could result in a multi-hundred dollar ticket and points on my license, I guarantee you I would not take that risk, and many others wouldn't either.

I'm not saying that higher fines or suspensions wouldn't give those caught something to think about...

But the reality is, I travel regularly in an area covering 3 states, other states fairly regularly...enforcement is almost non existent, while 5 minutes won't pass without seeing a dozen drivers using cell phones...

There's certainly no "perfect" solutions, and most of the non perfect ones don't help much in the real world...and unfortunately what Ron White said is true:

"You can't fix stupid."

My long term policy is that I ride a bike and drive a car like everyone on the road is out to kill me... some of them really are...