View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 06:57 AM

Location: the Netherlands or Holland, whichever you prefer ;-)
Default update

As promised, here is the next update. We have been busy this weekend. We have cut out all the pieces we need for the basic neck construction. And the neck has been glued together.

We start off by heating up the hide glue to the exact proper temperature. We have mixed the hide glue with cold water before heating it up and after all the water has been absorbed, it is time to put it in the baby bottle heater.

Here you see all the woods we are going to use.

All the woods in these pictures are at least 30 years old. Some of them are from the 60s others from the 70s. The neck will be glued together with Brazilian Rosewood, flamed maple and a centerpiece of Macassar Ebony.

We start by marking off the basic shape we need. We just pile all pieces together and cut them at once.

Here you see that beautiful, quartersawn piece of Macassar Ebony that will be at the center of the neck construction.

So, let's move on to the bandsaw to roughly cut out the proper shape.

Here you see the three pieces that still needed to be cut, stacked together

Just look at the flame in the maple. That will look awesome once the neck is finished.

Here we are testing the pieces together, marking them so when we do glue up we will be able to line it up the same way.

Now it is time to move fast. Hide glue will get tacky really soon. So I'm just going to shoot a few pictures and then help out getting all the surfaces glued.

After all the pieces have been glued up and aligned, it is time to put on glue clamps and let it sit for at least 24 hours. We have all the time in the world, so we are going to let it sit even longer. Just give everything time to settle and harden out nicely.

My Youtube Page

My Video Recordings
My Audio Recordings
My Sheetmusic

My Twitter